Lately as my skin has become drier due to the cold season, it has also become a tad paler, and discolouration is becoming more prominent. Finding a foundation at the drugstore is particularly difficult, because most of the common brands have a pink undertone, and they break me out.
Last year I saw the Cover FX counter at a nearby Shoppers Drugmart, and noticed that this line had a ton of different shades, with different undertones! Because I tan very well and am of Asian and Mediterranean descent, I fall into the golden tones. After some serious swatching, I found that I am in the shade G30: for light to medium skin with golden undertones. I’ve tried other products since purchasing this one (obviously), but I have rekindled my love for this cream foundation, with its amazing coverage and giving me natural, healthy looking skin!
“This anti-oxidant infused total coverage foundation and concealer in one imparts an all-day radiant finish that nourishes with anti-aging benefits.
What it does:
The buildable formula can provide medium to total coverage and offers all-day wear.
Provides optimum coverage of skin imperfections such as acne, redness, melasma, under eye circles, uneven skin tones, post-surgical bruising, vitiligo, and tattoos and protection from wind, sun and pollution.
This clinically tested product does not contain the Inflammatory Five: gluten, mineral oil, fragrance, parabens or talc.”
Diisostearyl Malate, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Silica, Caprylic/Capric, Triglyceride, Tris (PPG-3 Benzyl Ether) Citrate, Synthetic Beeswax, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Squalane, Triacontanyl PVP, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tocopherol, Tribehenin, Ethyl Linoleate, Ethyl Linolenate, Ethyl Oleate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dehydroacetic Acid, Bisabolol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Phytosphingosine, Ceramide 2, PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide
*On the Cover FX Website, it lists different ingredients depending on a certain shade you buy. Be sure to check it out. The ingredients I listed for G30 may be different from your shade.
Just forget the sponge in the compact. You will never need it! The cream is way too thick to apply it properly and evenly onto your face. I apply primer (or the infamous Nivea Men’s After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin) and take a damp beauty sponge (this case, the RT one), rub it in, and start dabbing on my face. I remember last year when I first applied this product, I was absolutely blown away by the finish. It is SO beautiful, and it makes your skin look absolutely flawless. The finished product (my face) was a lovely, smooth canvas, devoid of flaws (except for some pesky bumps). In that case, I just rubbed my finger into the pan, and dab on areas of my face that needed more coverage (If you haven’t noticed yet, it’s a very thick and pigmented product). I then set my face with the Kiko Cosmetics Radiant Fusion Baked Powder with an Eco Tools brush (don’t know the name of it, but it’s fluffy).
- Total coverage foundation and concealer in one: Yes and yes!
- All-day radiant finish: It’s radiant all right. If you do not set this bad boy, your face will shine brighter than a diamond.
- Nourishes with anti-aging benefits: Not sure about this… I guess because it is a rich, thick product that has SPF?
- The buildable formula can provide medium to total coverage: Definitely buildable. However, I only used one layer in the photos I took, but it definitely gives you an idea of its coverage!
- Offers all-day wear: Again, you need to set this foundation, as well as prime, or else you’ll go home to a nice, melty surprise.
- Provides optimum coverage of skin imperfections such as acne, redness, melasma, under eye circles, uneven skin tones, post-surgical bruising, vitiligo, and tattoo: Again from the photos, it really took care of the unevenness in my skin and covered a ton of hyper-pigmentation marks in one go!
- Protection from wind, sun and pollution: I will agree with this, because after I get home from a day out downtown with friends, I wash my face and my skin is looking calm and collected.
- The finish is VERY natural. My skin is still my skin, and I don’t feel congested at all.
- No flashback! Oh, it’s a wonderful thing.
- You absolutely CANNOT wear this on its own. Especially if you’re an oily gal/lad, you need to prime and powder. And blot.
- I’d say the Kiko Baked Powder does a fairly decent job at mattifying, however the cream foundation will still break through it and showcase dewiness. You may want to settle for a finer powder like the MUFE HD Powder or RMS Beauty “Un” Powder
Overall Opinion: This winter I have rekindled my love for this product. True to its description, it can cover up anything, in as many layers as you want, or in precise spots, without looking cakey or like you’re wearing too much makeup. The finish is very natural, and gives your skin a very healthy glow. Only reason for a .5 off the rating is for how dewy this product actually gets as you wear it. It can’t just stay it’s beautiful self, it has to go an extra mile with its radiance. If you’re an oily skinned individual, you have been warned! You absolutely, 110% need a proper primer and setting powder to make sure you won’t look melted by the end of your day! If you don’t like the slight dew it leaves, search for something else. This will never be a matte product. It’s all about making your skin look healthy!
And that’s all folks! I’ve been re-loving this foundation, and keep it in my bag in case I need touch ups! Has anyone tried the liquid foundation in the line? Or how about their primers and setting powders?
Cover FX Total Cream Foundation can be purchased at: