I forgot to schedule this because my mind drifted during the Long Labour Day weekend 🙂
It has been around 9 months since starting 0.3% Adapalene, so it’s about time I do a skin update and show you my skin’s progress!
Be sure to read my first one so you’re up to date: Skin Update [#1] December 2018: Acne + Scars
Here’s a breakdown of what I’ve been doing since my last update in December 2018:
- Still have not used a microneedling device since November when I reviewed the Banisher 2.0.
- No professional facials done, just stuck with topical products I purchased.
- Using Differin almost every night since I got it end of November 2018.
- Aczone was good up until the 4 month mark, then I switched to Finacea (AA). I noticed Aczone would dry out my skin and make it look darker and red.
- Upped my chemical exfoliators to 2 times a week – still using Krave Beauty’s Kale-lalu-yAHA and Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid.
- Have been attempting to apply minimum SPF50 PA++++/PPD 16 up to 2mg/cm2 of sunscreen on exposed areas.
BEFORE / AFTERS
- It’s really hard to match exact lighting and angle!
- I also added the same photos with increased the shadows and highlights to emphasize the texture – even then it’s hard to truly depict what’s happening on my face
- Ignore that cut on the bottom part of my face – I shaved and cut myself (yes I’ve been shaving my face! it’s quite magical)
- TIMEFRAME: November 27, 2018 – July 13, 2019
In general, they look like the got smaller, and my face generally looks smoother. At first I thought I really wasn’t getting a good angle for the photos; but maybe, just maybe… they actually look that much better! My mom said my skin looks smoother every time she sees me, that has to count for something lol.
I find a lot of the pigmentation I had lingering lightened up ever since I introduced AA and applied proper amounts of higher UVA protecting sunscreens to my routine, and a general boost in my skin’s health.
I definitely don’t get as many breakouts since last year, and they are well under control. When I do experience a bad breakout, the connection is from eating too much processed food and drinking very sugary drinks. I find the actives I use in my routine however really help rid any active breakouts quickly, and I don’t find myself stressing over cystic spots as much as I used to.
OVERALL SKIN CONDITION
- Clearer – acne is under control, pigmentation does not last for months
- She is slow, but there have been some improvements with my atrophic scars
- Feels fairly normal since we’re in summer, but still prone to dryness
- I find my skin gets sensitive to products that I used prior without issue
And that’s it for my 2nd Skin Update! It’s by no means perfect, but I’m happy it’s getting better. Healing old scars as mine with topicals can only do so much, and I’ve accepted that, but at least there’s SOME improvement!
- Continue with what I’m using, sticking with Differin
- Use micro-needle again to boost the process
- May look into the vampire facial, or other professional treatments to help speed the process for my atrophic scars. It’s so expensive doe ;_;
- I like my skincare routine at the moment ko, so I’ll be sticking with what I’m currently doing and share it in good time!
It’s always nerve-wracking sharing my skin like this, but I really hope these updates help you out, especially if you’re going through the same skin struggles as I am!