The products in this post were received in PR.
I’m typically someone who strays away from drugstore foundation due to one or all of the following reasons:
- Never finding my shade and/or undertone properly
- Oxidization madness
- Looking cakey
- Not long-lasting
- Breaks me out
However, times have changed, and there seems to be a way better selection of base products than when I was in highschool! I received Revlon’s new PhotoReady Candid Natural Finish Anti-Pollution Foundation and Antioxidant Concealer to try out and I decided to do a wear test and review them for you all!
In this post, I’ll be sharing a wear test I did during Fan Expo 2019 with the Foundation and Concealer, and add some thought after wearing them for almost one month daily!
PHOTOREADY CANDID NATURAL FINISH ANTI-POLLUTION FOUNDATION
- This skin-enhancing, natural-looking foundation delivers a flawless finish—all day long—as it hydrates
- You get medium coverage that feels weightless and looks like your best skin!
- Feels good with: anti-pollution, antioxidant, and anti-blue-light ingredients to protect your skin
- Feels better without: oils, parabens, phthalates, synthetic dyes, and harsh fragrances
- Available in 31 makeup shades
PRICE: $10.99 USD / $15.99 CAD
AMOUNT: 0.75 fl oz / 22ml
SHADE: 220 Sand Beige – medium with neutral, subtle olive undertones
PHOTOREADY CANDID ANTIOXIDANT CONCEALER
- This concealer with medium coverage camouflages dark circles and puff, with a jolt of caffeine to help wake up tired skin
- It’s also excellent at disguising blemishes and other things you’d rather not see
- Feels good with: a formula that includes a protective antioxidant, along with anti-pollution and anti-blue-light ingredients
- Feels better without: oils, parabens, phthalates, synthetic dyes, or harsh fragrances—making it ideal for delicate undereye skin and a great concealer for sensitive skin!
- Flexible doe-foot for precision application
- Available in 18 shades
PRICE: $9.99 USD/ $10.49 CAD
AMOUNT: 0.34 fl oz / 10ml
SHADE: 020 Bisque
ANTI-POLLUTION, ANTIOXIDANT, ANTI-BLUE LIGHT?
FOUNDATION INGREDIENTS: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polysilicone-11, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ethylene Brassylate, Laureth-7, Lecithin, Magnesium Sulfate, Maris Sal/Sea Salt/Sel Marin, Methicone, Mica, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Pullulan, Sclerotium Gum, Silica, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Carrageenan, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethyl Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491,77492, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
CONCEALER INGREDIENTS: Aqua/Water/Eau,Cyclopentasiloxane, Titanium Dioxide, Cyclohexasiloxane, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract ,Caffeine, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Niacinamide, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Glycerin, Lecithin, Mica, Pullulan, Sclerotium Gum, Silica, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Xanthan Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: [Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499].
Firstly, both foundation and concealer contain antioxidants; In short, antioxidants help scavenge free radicals that cause oxidation (damaging cells). Camellia Sinesis Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopherol / Tocopheryl Acetate are in both formulas, and the concealer contains Niacinamide down the list as well. There may also be Iron Oxides in the formula, which are used as pigment in makeup. Both antioxidants and Iron Oxides have shown to reduce the effects of visible light and help with pigmentation issues. Lab Muffin does a great job at explaining all of the research behind this in a digestible manner – be sure to check out her blog post and others as well!
Surprisingly, Revlon is indeed backing up its claims of their foundation and concealer being anti-pollution, antioxidant, and anti-blue light. However I am wary that some of those ingredients may be in too low amounts to do anything – I’m looking at more of SAP and Niacinamide. I’m not sure how much is needed to have an antioxidant benefit, but for the additional benefits those provide such as brightening and helping with acne, I typically aim for minimum 5-10% in my skincare routine. It still doesn’t hurt to have them in the formula though!
WEAR TEST – FIRST IMPRESSIONS
PREP: On top of a moisturizing SPF – my colleague wears both these products on the daily so I thought I’d dry them together.
TOTAL WEAR TIME: 11.5 hours
Foundation: Tube with a pump.
Concealer: Tube with a large doe-foot applicator
Foundation: Thick cream.
Concealer. Light cream.
Foundation: 1.5 pumps on face and neck . Normally I apply a small amount in sections, but I wanted to see what kind of coverage one pump would do.
Concealer: One light swipe to just cover breakouts.
Left side used fingers – results were streaky; Right side used brush – more seamless. Had to go in with a sponge to blend out the foundation because I used too much.
Applied on back of hand first, and used a small dense concealer brush to apply and blend around chin and one on my forehead.
- Glowy / luminous; to some it looks luminous and glowy, others it can look borderline shiny
- Skin looks like my skin, boyfriend and friend couldn’t tell I was wearing anything
- Didn’t notice any significant skin-perfecting qualities other than evening out my skin tone and making it look healthy
- Having said that, doesn’t exaggerate any texture on my skin
- Matte finish
Did not use primer or setting powder, wore the foundation on its own with cream cheek products.
FLASH-FRIENDLY? Yes. if you don’t powder down the “glow” from the foundation, it can be amplified.
OXIDIZE? Surprisingly, it did not!
OIL-CONTROLLING? Hard to tell because the finish gives a natural sheen. I did blot 5 hours in because to me, a previous oily-skinned gal, it looked too much; My friend on the other hand, said it didn’t look oily unless I was in bad lighting, otherwise my skin looked great most of the day.
END OF DAY:
- Face still looked fresh and healthy
- Coverage was still there
- Bit of cakiness and dryness around my breakout areas
- Sheen still on my skin but it didn’t look very oily
- Gives a “my skin but better” look despite no blurring quality
- Looks great in photos, with or without flash
- Matched my undertone perfectly
- Lasts a work day / school day on its own without the help of primers and/or setting products
- Does not oxidize; I was able to build up the coverage in certain areas of my face, and it did not oxidize in patches either
- Still look fresh by the end of a long day
- Matches skin tone
- Does not oxidize
- Not a full ounce provided
- Doesn’t last on the skin
- Creates dry patches
- The finish depends on how you prep your skin. It’s not guaranteed to give you a super dewy or satin finish unless your base has that already going for it (hence why my face was so moisturized in the Wear Test).
- Buildable coverage, up to medium coverage.
- As much as I like the MSBB look, I still wish it had SOME skin blurring properties so I wouldn’t have to worry about my pores.
- Concealer does not look cakey on skin if you just need to hide redness and use a very light amount. I think it caked up around my breakouts because of the active I used in my skincare routine (Paula’s Choice 10% Azelaic Acid).
Normal to Dry-skinned peeps: I think you’ll love it; Didn’t feel like it dried out my skin, and it does not emphasize dry patches I have around breakouts.
Oily-skinned peeps: May be too glowy for you, even if your base prep is rather matte. I’d recommend trying their Colorstay Foundation – it used to be my go-to drugstore foundation when my skin was very oily!
My best face: Pore-filling primer, thin layers, setting powder (get the most compliments when I do my makeup like this). Here’s my face after ~10 hours of wear on a regular work day, no touch-ups:
Overall I am seriously impressed with Revlon Candid Foundation and Antioxidant Concealer! For a drugstore foundation, I really didn’t know what to expect with its performance, and it definitely surpassed my expectations. I get compliments at work whenever I use this foundation, and I’ve been told that I still look bright and fresh by the end of a work day! I also wore the foundation for 14+ hours for boyfriend’s birthday, and blotted before we went out to celebrate!
WHERE TO BUY:
Hope this review helped you out!