I know – I’m Canadian, and I have all 3 Krave Beauty products. I was actually super fortunate to win an Instagram contest Krave Beauty was hosting back in September 2018 – suggest a new title for their skincare book!
I gave my honest input about it, and before I knew it, it was the most popular one in their comment section and I’m being tagged in their story! The prize was full sizes of all 3 following products: Matcha-Hemp Hydrating Cleanser, Kale-aha-uya, Beet the Sun SPF 47+ PA++++, shipped from their Seoul facility.
When their skincare book comes out, just remember, *this girl named it*
I’ve been rotating these Krave Beauty products in my current skincare routine for a few months now and I am ready to share my thoughts with you all and whether or not Canadians and anyone else outside the U.S. and South Korea should continue their fascination with Krave Beauty. Please note the standard information on the products I share is based on Krave Beauty’s official U.S. website, even though I got the products from Korea.
If it isn’t clear: I won these products in an instagram giveaway. They were not sent to me for review purposes. I’m reviewing it because I want to.
All thoughts are my own, always. *casts doe patronus*
ABOUT KRAVE BEAUTY
Founded by Liah Yoo (formerly known as YellowyCream), Beauty Youtuber. I’m not sure of her educational background, but she has been working in the beauty world for a handful of years now and has been an avid product junkie since before I started watching her. As a subscriber, I always noticed her thoughtfulness towards acne-prone, sensitive skin like hers when reviewing products. I’m glad that in the past couple of years she switched gears and started getting more educational; She has a research team that debunks skincare myths, talks about efficacious, science-based ingredients, but maintains an open mind about new ingredients coming into the skincare game. Although she is classed as a Beauty Expert, I find her to be a non-BS one. Even if I didn’t win her products, I have had a high interest in Krave Beauty since she launched it and wanted to purchase it for myself. Krave Beauty combines the benefits of plants and science-backed ingredients, all the while making sure it can accomodate the most sensitive of skin types. This sounds like my cup of tea!
Krave Beauty itself is all about pressing reset on your skin. Stop with the 10 step skincare, and just listen and feel for what your skin craves (Krave… get it?). Her line started off with the 3 products I’m about to review, and she has since followed up with another product launch, with most-likely more to come!
- Sell only skincare
- Formulated without fragrance, essential oil, colorant
- Wants to be a transparent company
- Wants to #PressReset on your skincare routine and all the noise from the beauty industry
- Create products that considers your skin’s health
- Prioritize simplicity in their products while providing quality ingredients and care
A very suitable excerpt from their site:
“Skincare should be easy,
Skincare should be a stress-free zone,
Skincare should be a supplement to our lifestyle.
And most of all, skincare basics should be, basic.
It’s time to #pressreset.”
I also like how Krave Beauty just launches products at its own pace. These past couple of years the makeup market became extremely saturated (how many eyeshadow palettes do we need people!?), and now you see skincare getting lots of hype and making its rounds, especially on Instagram!
Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser
PRICE: $16 USD
AMOUNT: 120ml / 4.05 fl oz
pH: 5.0 – 6.0
– An antioxidant cleanser that doesn’t mess up your skin barrier
– Lifting everything your skin doesn’t want while leaving what it needs—healthy pH, hydration, antioxidants and no irritation
– Matcha and hemp seeds are here to boost the skin’s intake of antioxidants and essential fatty acids
– Contains 40% matcha
One of the most antioxidant-dense sources on the planet. Basically, we thought it’d be awesome to splash matcha every day on our skin.
Hemp seed oil
HIGH in essential amino acids, HIGH in linoleic acid, oh yeah, it’s so HIGH-drating! Great for all skin types, even for oily skin peeps. Hemp seed oil has a natural antibacterial property that helps to relieve inflamed skin conditions.
Coco -betaine, Coco-glucoside, Decyl glucoside
A group of mild and gentle cleaning agents. These surfactants are less likely to compromise your skin barrier whereas harsh surfactants (like SLS) can strip away everything including your natural lipids. And these, you don’t want to surrender.
Vitamin B5 & Sodium PCA
Skin-barrier strengthening ingredients replenishing hydration.
Krave Beauty U.S. website
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST:
Camellia Sinensis Leaf Water, Water, Glycerin, Coco-Betaine, Methyl Gluceth-10, Ethoxydiglycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Methylpropanediol, Sodium Chloride, Butoxydiglycol, Diglycerin, Glycereth-26, Xanthan Gum, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Diethoxydiglycol, Coco-Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Glyceryl Caprylate, Decyl Glucoside, Pentylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Butylene Glycol, Octanediol, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Citric Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sodium PCA, Disodium EDTA
Love that it has 40% Camellia Sinsesis Leaf Water in the formulation; For me, it makes it a standout cleanser and it’s unlike other ones I’ve tried. I’ve washed my face with green tea water before (literally steeped warm water for like, 5 mins and splashed my face for over a minute) and I find I achieve similar results of skin softness and evenness, only the Matcha-Hemp Hydrating Cleanser can actually perform as a great 2nd cleanse. Not sure why they didn’t highlight Oat Kernel Extract and Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, I personally think they’re worth mentioning about this cleanser!
USAGE: Evening as 2nd cleanse.
TEXTURE: One of the more interesting textures I have tried from a cleanser – A brown, chunky gel.
APPLICATION: From a pea to more than a nickel-size amount and lather on the face and neck.
FINISH: I keep my face slightly damp before going into my humectant products. However this cleanser does speed up water evaporation, and there were times when my face felt unpleasantly squeaky-clean.
INSTANT RESULTS: Face feels soft and hydrated after 1 minute of cleansing.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Overall skin hasn’t been compromised despite the quick drying feeling it brings. No breakouts, my reliable 2nd cleanse for removing even the heaviest of layers of makeup, face always looks even tone and bright.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE MATCHA-HEMP HYDRATING CLEANSER
– Base is 40% Camellia Sinesis Leaf Water
– Good size
– Fairly affordable considering the amount and how much you need to actually use
– Dries my skin too fast, even when it’s damp
PRICE: $25 USD
AMOUNT: 200ml / 6.76 fl oz
TYPE OF EXFOLIANT: AHA – Glycolic Acid 5.25%
pH: 3.0 – 4.0
– Skin resurfacing exfoliator that kicks your dead skin cells to the curb
– Revealing youthful, healthier skin while also feeding it delicious antioxidants from dark, leafy greens
– Kiss good-bye to the appearance of discoloration, sun damage, and fine lines with regular use
Glycolic Acid (Sugar cane derived) 5.25%
A real game changer in your skincare routine! Glycolic acid is an effective chemical exfoliant that gently resurfaces skin texture and prevents clogged pores. With regular use, this nudges your skin’s cellular turnover slowly, fading the appearance of hyperpigmentation, sun damage, and fine lines.
Dark, leafy greens (kale, spinach, parsley)
A vital energy booster for the skin, the antioxidants packed in these greens are the best thing you can treat your skin with—and that’s why we call it Kale-lalu-yaha! Not just that, it’s also chock-full of vitamins and minerals too. What more could you ask for?
Aloe + Hyaluronic acid + Vitamin B5
These are all natural hydrators which replenish, hydrate and soothe skin. Once you apply, you’ll feel instant hydration, especially if you pair this with a moisturizer that locks down it all down.
Allantoin soothes skin while buffering any possible irritation from the chemical exfoliation process. This is an absolutely wonderful ingredient which brings both moisturizing and soothing relief to a sensitive, inflamed skin.
Krave Beauty U.S. website
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST:
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Water, Butylene glycol, Brassica Oleracea Acephala Leaf (Kale) Extract, Glycolic acid, 1,2-Hexanediol, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Spinacia Oleracea (Spinach) Leaf Extract, Carum Petroselinum (Parsley) Extract, Chlorella Minutissima Extract, Malus Domestica Fruit (Green apple) Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Betaine Salicylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Pseudozyma Epicola/Camellia Sinensis Seed Oil/Glucose/Yeast Extract Ferment Filtrate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Bacillus/Folic acid/Soybean ferment extract, Coptis Japonica Root Extract, Malachite Extract, Polysorbate80, Disodium EDTA
I know you can only highlight so many good ingredients, but I’d like to point out this AHA toner also has Chlorella and Green Apple extract as greens in this product. There’s also Glycerin, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), and Sodium Hyaluronate for moisturizing properties!
USAGE: Evening. Started using it every other day. When I incorporated prescription-strength Differin, only 1-2x a week max.
SCENT: While first using it I didn’t smell anything. Now that I’ve opened it a handful of times, there’s a slight sour smell when you open the cap, but not on application.
APPLICATION: Sometimes I use my hands to apply a couple of swigs. If I feel particularly congestted, I apply it to a Klairs cotton pad (compressed or sponge).
FINISH: Slightly moisturized.
INSTANT RESULTS: Skin looks smooth and even.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: No surprise that the moment I incorporated this into my nightly routine, my texture improved. I find Glycolic Acid is the most effective when tackling these haunting atrophic scars.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON KALE-LALU-yAHA
– Base is Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water and not plain old water
– Improved my skin’s texture
– Not too irritating for my skin – I have used 8-10% AHA in the past, but now that I use a retinoid I’m happy for a lesser percentage.
– Non-drying – skin feels normal and sightly moisturized after use
– Crystallizes at the dispense area
The amount 5.25%; I’m an experienced chemical exfoliator user, so I could do with a higher percentage. On the other end, this is a fairly high amount if you consider it in the K-Beauty Market. Most of the chemical exfoliators in that market don’t go past 2%.
Beet the Sun SPF 47+ PA++++
U.S. NAME: The Beet Shield
PRICE: $20 USD
AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7oz
– Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate (Uvinul A Plus)
– BisEthylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine (Tinosorb S)
– Polysilicone-15 (Parsol SLX)
– A gentle, antioxidant-rich day fluid that protects your skin from harsh environmental stressors
-A lightweight, non-white cast leaving formula
– Charged with beet root extract and antioxidants to fight against the free radicals so you don’t turn beet-red
An underrated yet amazingly antioxidant-rich vegetable, the beetroot holds skin enhancing properties like preventing signs of aging, reducing pigmentation and blemishes and moisturization! A true underdog superfood.
Allantoin soothes skin and relieves skin irritation. This is an absolutely wonderful ingredient which brings both moisturizing and soothing relief to a sensitive, inflamed skin.
Vitamin C, Resveratrol, EGCG
This powerful tag team of antioxidants is proven to shield skin against external stressors and neutralize free radicals.
Krave Beauty U.S. website
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST:
Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dibutyl Adipate, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Alcohol, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Isoamyl p-Methoxycinnamate, Polysilicone-15, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tromethamine, Methylpropanediol, Isohexadecane, Caprylyl Glycol, Glyceryl Caprylate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, 1,2-Hexanediol, Polysorbate 80, Lithospermum Erythrorhizon Root Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Sorbitan Oleate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Allantoin, Epigallocatechin Gallate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Butylene Glycol, Resveratrol
USAGE: AM routine as the last step of skincare of course!
TEXTURE: Krave Beauty describes it perfectly – condensed milk! It also doesn’t feel sticky or greasy.
APPLICATION: I apply ~64% 1/4 tsp (I did a rough measurement of my face and I calculated this to be the amount needed to get the SPF and PA protection on my face).
FINISH: Shiny and moisturized. The shine eventually fades. No cast.
INSTANT RESULTS: Skin looks smooth and even, feels more moisturized.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Provides good sun protection. Face feels slightly dry after I use this with foundation. Foundation-free days I do not get this.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON BEET THE SUN SPF 47+ PA++++
– The base may be just water, but I love the texture! *Cosmetic Elegance*
– Uses modern, photostable filters
– Despite Alcohol in the top 5 ingredients, it doesn’t dry my skin too much
– Some days it stings my face (depending what I used the night before)
– I know this ingredient factors in formulation, but in my personal experience, using a product with Alcohol constantly (even in makeup) weakens my skin. I’m willing to purchase this SPF again, but I am wearing about what my skin would look like with consistent use. This is in a sunscreen rather than moisturizer foundation, so I hope this different formulation will not do the same thing
– The amount 50ml is perfect as a travel-size SPF companion, but you’ll run out of this quickly if it’s your go to sun protection product. I wish they offered a larger size
– Thoughtful formulations: first set of ingredients are actually key ingredients, and if you look at the ingredients list as a whole, there’s a lot of good stuff in it that look as if it makes up the bulk of the formulation.
– Affordable. Considering the quality of these products, I find the pricepoint very good, and you get a considerable amount for most of the products.
– Liah herself actually uses her products consistently. Sure it’s self promotion, but she DID want the formulas to work with her skin type as well. She’s also the public tester for her brand and we can see her skin’s progress.
– Not. Available. In. Canada. I wish they made it available in Toronto at least! Their U.S. facility is in New Jersey and we’re but a mere 6 hour drive away :3 We also sell SPF with Tinosorb in it so I’m sure it can get approved to be sold as an SPF here.
OVERALL IN-BETWEEN FEELS:
– Suited for MOST skin-types. Like I mentioned, the SPF was mositurizing at first but throughout the day my face dried if I wore foundation with it, and the cleanser leaves my skin feeling very dry if I don’t act fast with my humectants.
– You can make it work and you don’t have to alter your routine significantly when using these products.
I will make this clear: If I COULD purchase, I WOULD. I even want to try their new release, Great Barrier Relief! But alas, Canadians are always jipped, jipped I say!! I hope the Krave Beauty team offers international shipping soon, I know a lot of fellow skincare lovers want to try what they have to offer. Aside from that, if you are able to purchase Krave Beauty, I hope this review helped in solidifying your decision!
WHERE TO BUY: