Hey everyone, the other day I dropped by the MAC store to pick up the gold mine that is the fix+ spray, and a sample of their new Studio Water Weight SPF 30 Foundation (aka the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Water SPF 30). I thought to myself, why not review it?
I’ve been avoiding MAC products for quite a while since experiencing cakey, melted face looks from their Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation and Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15. What intrigued me about this foundation however, is that it may just look natural, while still giving a nice, even toned and well covered complexion.
“Introducing an innovative foundation that delivers colour in an ultra-fluid, elastic gel – serum formula. With a virtually weightless feel, this hydrating formula is extraordinarily comfortable, lasting for hours. With stay-true colour and sheer medium buildable coverage, it softly blurs imperfections such as pores and fine lines. The unique dropper provides you with a drop of perfection. Use the new 196 Slanted Flat Top Foundation Brush for a naturally flawless finish.”
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1%, Zinc Oxide 2.1%. Inactive Ingredients: Water\Aqua\Eau, Methyl Trimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Silica, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone Silylate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Lecithin, Citrullus Vulgaris (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Lens Esculenta (Lentil) Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Methicone, Triethyl Citrate, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Laureth-7, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dextrin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sodium Lactate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Zinc Stearate, Litchi Chinensis Seed Extract, Polyglutamic Acid, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499)]
Not the best of lists, but again, I was intrigued.
After showering, I applied my serum and moisturizer, and put dabs of the NC35 foundation around my face and neck. I used my EcoTools buffing brush to blend. The formula did not feel gel-serum at all, it felt way more liquidy than that. Right away, I liked how it looked, and glad I chose a dense brush as my first choice. I put another layer on to see how buildable the product was, powdered my T-zone, and went off to vote (if you live in Canada and are of age, for the love of all that is good with our country, or you want it to be good, I hope you voted). Now that I’ve had it on for 7 hours, was outside, and climbed up and down the stairs of my house, here’s what I’ve noticed.
- Weightless Feel – My skin feels tight.
- Extraordinarily Comfortable – My skin feels tight.
- Lasting for hours – My skin still looks even tone; it doesn’t look like I’m melting, despite the foundation’s natural dewy finish.
- Stay-true colour – Perfect colour match! No oxidizing experience here.
- Sheer medium buildable coverage – I have seen no difference after applying a 2nd and 3rd layer, and my visible hyper-pigmentation marks are proof of that.
- Softly blurs imperfections such as pores and fine lines – Oui oui! Pores are looking softly blurred front profile, but not side profile.
- No cake face at all! Good job, MAC.
- No flashback (just trust me on this, I am not in the most flattering state right now to post the selfie)
- My powder’s not working despite my lack of activity – my T-zone went back to its au naturelle, dewy self right away.
- I feel no irritation from this product, other than, well, my skin feels tight.
Overall Opinion: My skin feels tight. Aside from that, the foundation truly has a beautiful finish with little product needed. I looked like I had a healthy, dewy-looking complexion with an even skin tone. I’m not one for the dew because it brings out the texture in my skin. The claim says it’s buildable coverage, but personally, I saw no difference from the 1st layer; maybe some tiny marks disappeared, but other than that, my larger ones remained visible. I will not purchase this item because quite frankly:
- I really don’t need it
- I already have a foundation with better ingredients and actually buildable
- My skin feels UNCOMFORTABLY tight from this product
Hope you liked this quick review, and helps you decided if the foundation is the right choice for you!
My Current Foundation Routine
MAC Cosmetics can be purchased at www.maccosmetics.com, or its retail stores across Canada. As you can see, I got a sample. Honest opinion. The pictures don’t lie.