Back in February I had a “treat yo’self” moment, so I decided to splurge on the entire Dr. Sam skincare line (so far) called Perfected Basics. I purchased the following products and have rotated them in my skincare the past few months:
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Cleanser
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Moisturizer
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Sunscreen
As usual, after giving them a good trial run, I am ready to share my experience!
Who is Dr. Sam?
Her official bio says it best:
“[She] is a London-based cosmetic dermatologist specializing, quite simply, in great skin – she’s widely considered to be a beauty insider’s best-kept secret.
She’s passionate about making a dermatologist’s advice more accessible and helping women understand that a visit to her office is not just for serious skin conditions. Through her media and TV work, as a presenter on TLC’s Extreme Beauty Disasters, Dr Sam helps bridge the gap between traditional dermatology and beauty. She is sought-out for her expert opinion in countless fashion and beauty publications.”
I’ve been following her Youtube channel for a while now, and I find her videos to be very digestible and to the point when it comes to our common questions about skin and ingredients. Actually, it’s pretty much this strong trust she’s built through her social channels and in-person patient visits that pushed her to create her own skincare line.
- Fragrance free
- Not tested on animals
- Gluten free
- Suitable for all skin types
- Contains no SLS, parabens, pthalates
- Worldwide shipping
- Products manufactured in the U.K.
Here’s what the site has to say about their 3 Dr. Sam’s Flawless products:
“We want you to build an effective skincare routine by starting from a position of strength.
That means nailing your basics. We call them Perfected Basics.”
If that isn’t a wholesome dermatologist philosophy in a nutshell, I don’t know what is!
PRICE: £16 / ~$21 USD / ~$28 CAD
AMOUNT: 200ml / 6.8 fl oz
– Suits all skin types, even redness-prone, sensitive skin
– Thoroughly removes make-up, sunscreen, oil and grime whilst respecting the skin’s natural barrier
– Specifically suitable for acne-prone, grown-up skin
– 1 minute to cleanse
– No oily residue
INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Poloxamer 188, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Disodium EDTA, BHT
USAGE: Sometimes in the A.M. as my morning cleanse, but mostly in the P.M. as my 2nd cleanse.
SCENT: Smells like a raw, no masking fragrance product.
APPLICATION: One pump for my 2nd cleanse, massage for 1 minute. I tried to use 2 pumps to remove waterproof sunscreen, massaged for 2 minutes max, and it still didn’t remove everything. As I am massaging the cleanser on my skin, there is no foaming whatsoever!
FINISH: No residue, but my skin feels very soft and doesn’t feel like it’s going to dry up.
INSTANT RESULTS: Clean, happy skin.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Skin still feels clean and happy!
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS CLEANSER
- Love the texture – most pleasant cleanser I’ve used to date (even my bf said the same thing)
- I don’t think you need a full pump, I can use less to achieve similar results for a 2d cleanse
- From what I recall, Dr. Sam is not a fan of the double-cleanse method in the sense that you need to buy another product as the first step of removing makeup or SPF. I tried massaging 2 full pumps of her cleanser on my face to break down LRP’s Anthelios Tinted SPF, which is water resistant. While it removed most of the SPF, it wasn’t 100% (and I massaged the cleanser on my face for over 2 minutes). I’ll stick to my tried and true double-cleanse method and happily use her cleanser for the 2nd step
PRICE: £25 / ~$33 USD / ~$43.50 CAD
AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7 fl oz
– Bouncy gel cream
–Suits all skin types
– Absorbs rapidly
– Leaves skin comfortable
– Long lasting hydration
– Layers beautifully with your serums and sunscreen
– Won’t clog pores
– Contains 5% niacinamide, a master of all trades ingredient
- Brightens and boosts skin
- Keeps pores clear and skin calm
- Makes your skin more tolerant of retinoids
INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water/Eau), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cyclopentasiloxane, Niacinamide, Propanediol, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Panthenol, Xylitylglucoside, Polysilicone-11, Stearic Acid, Anhydroxylitol, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Allantoin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Xylitol, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citric Acid
SCENT: No fragrance.
TEXTURE: At first it feels a cream, on application however…
APPLICATION: 1.5 – 2 pumps for face and neck, and surprisingly glides on like a gel. It really does feel like it adheres, or hugs my skin!
FINISH: Moisturized and gouda.
INSTANT RESULTS: Comfortable, moisturized skin.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: The moisture doesn’t feel long lasting throughout the day. I also don’t find my skin looks noticeably brighter, something I usually get from using a product with high % of Niacinamide.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS MOISTURIZER
- Love how the product literally hugs my skin
- Niacinamide is bae, and 5% is an awesome amount in a moisturizer
- Skin doesn’t look even and/or bright from it
- Too little amount for the price
FLAWLESS DAILY SUNSCREEN
PRICE: £29 / ~$38 USD / ~$50.50 CAD
AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7 fl oz
UV FILTERS: 11.8% Zinc Oxide, 7% Octinoxate
– Cosmetically elegant
– Soft focus, non-greasy primer-like finish
– Weightless daily shield for skin
– Contains 5% Niacinamide
– Suitable for all skin types
– Won’t clog pores
– SPF 50
– 3 pumps = 1/4 teaspoon, the general recommended amount of sunscreen you must apply to your face
INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Zinc Oxide (nano), Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Squalane, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Polysorbate 60, 1,2-Hexanediol, Disodium EDTA, Isostearic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Citric Acid.
SCENT: No fragrance.
APPLICATION: I know the recommondation is 3 pumps, but after measuring my face and finding out I only need 64% of 1/4 tsp, I decided to use 2 for my face. It’s very easy to glide on te skin and feels like a moisturizer.
WHITECAST? Yessssss 🙁 Even at my palest, my skin’s undertone is still strong and I see a contrast.
INSTANT RESULTS: Casty, shiny, extra-moisturized skin. Skin feels smooth.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Just like the Flawless Moisturizer, the moisture doesn’t feel long lasting throughout the day.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS SUNSCREEN
- Primer-like finish
- Offers good sun protection
- Packaging makes it fool-proof to not apply the standard adequate amount
- Good moisturizer for normal-oily skin types
- Too little amount for the price
– Cosmetically elegant products. Loved the texture on all of them and enjoyed using them.
– I haven’t emptied a product yet so this is based on comments in Dr. Sam’s Skincare Club on Facebook: once you run out of the moisturizer, it’s all gone! No need to try to crack open the bottle. It has been confirmed by numerous customers that you get everything down to the last dollop through the pump.
– Gentle. The key component to these products being part of the Perfected Basics. My skin never reacted badly to any of them and I never felt like my skin was sensitized.
– Amount. Especially for the Moisturizer and SPF.
– Longevity. Tied to amount, even with minimal use of every product they will not last and you’ll have to stock up frequently.
OVERALL IN-BETWEEN FEELS:
– Price. I get it, that British pound conversion is quite a doozy, more so than the American Dollar! Also, all her products are manufactured in the U.K., that has to contribute to the price point as well. There is a shipping rate for international shipping, adding to my wallet hurting. Seems like Dr. Sam’s Perfectd Basics are better cost-wise for my friends across the pond!
– Can be suitable for all skin types, if you want to work with it. Eg. The sunscreen is VERY shiny after application, but for oily skinned peeps you can probably just use it to moisturize as well (Caution to the very sensitive skin: I’ve read many a reviews that the 5% Niacinamide was too much and caused redness and irritation).
I hope you found this review helpful! As much as I really enjoyed the products, it would have to be too frequent of a repurchase and my wallet may bite at me and hide. Maybe eventually if they ever offer free shipping I would consider repurchasing the cleanser and moisturizer.
WHERE TO BUY:
Dr. Sam’s Official Website
4 thoughts on “Dr. Sam’s Perfected Basics”
[…] if you love Krave Beauty, Dr. Sam, you absolutely must check out this brand, especially if you live in the U.S. of […]
[…] worse! Products: Bioderma Sebium Purifying Cleansing Foaming Gel Dr. Sam’s Flawless Cleanser (reviewed) Cerave Hydrating Cleanser Dermalogica Active Clearing Skin Wash (Previously […]
[…] Dr. Sam’s Flawless Cleanser (Reviewed) […]
[…] really enjoyed this cleanser more if it wasn’t foaming like Dr. Sam’s Flawless Cleanser – I feel like I would’ve experienced a more hydrating feel to this cleanser had they […]