Inspired to take care of my scalp more + the desire to try something new, I purchased Toronto-based brand Innate Life products and had to share my thoughts on their products!
I’ve strayed away from Green Beauty marketing-based companies when it comes to skincare, but when it comes to my hair I find that’s when these types of products benefit me the most! I decided to purchase their Small Complete Hair Care Bundle with the small sizes of the following products:
- Scalp Treatment for Problematic Scalp
- Herbal Hair Mask
- Rose Hair Elixir
As I just mentioned, the Innate Life is a Toronto-based Canadian brand that takes an ayurvedic approach to hair care! Every product contains their signature blend of the following ayurvedic herbs, all supposed to promote either hair growth and overall scalp health:
My personal opinion: I do believe traditional medicines serve a purpose and have some promise since it’s based off of thousands of years of trial and error, which is why I occasionally like using these kinds of products. It is consistent long-term use for potentially long term gain, and sometimes it’s hard for them to compete with new Western medicine, especially when you’re living a modern lifestyle of different (and more often than not, a lot more) stresses (environment, food, etc.).
The Innate Life Small Complete Hair Care Bundle with tax cost $55.53 USD / $76.19 CAD have used this bundle for a couple of months now, so I am ready to share my thoughts!
Scalp Treatment for Problematic Scalp
Hair growth starts at the root. The Scalp Treatment is the ultimate product for hair growth because it nourishes and stimulates the scalp. It’s packed with natural goodness that will benefit your scalp and hair in ways you never thought possible! Used a couple times a week, The Scalp Treatment will provide intense hydration and repair the scalp for ultimate growth. It’s relaxing herbal scent makes it an essential part of any self-care day.
INDIVIDUAL PRICE: $20 USD
Coconut Oil as the main oil is also great for hair health, for it is able to penetrate the hair shafts, create a water-blocking layer, and prevent protein loss. The ayurvedic and other plant extracts in the list are shown in herbal medicine to have soothing properties – definitely a must when applying potent essential oils on the scalp and trying to lower irritation from buildup. The essential oils listed, particularly Rosemary Oil, has a study on how it contributed to hair growth (Rosemary Oil was compared to be just as effective as Minoxidil (key active in Rogaine) but without irritation!). Pair all of these ingredients with the act of scalp massaging, it sounds like this is a go-to product for literally getting your head in the game of scalp health.
I’ll leave the following links below if you’re interested in the read. PLEASE NOTE: Just because some studies were done, doesn’t mean that it’s 100% safe and proven to be used in such a manner. Only until your country’s governing body passes ingredients (in this case, essential oils) as a drug for use in such a manner (in specific concentrations), these are just the beginning of studies and any use otherwise is anecdotal.
USAGE: 2 hours before I planned on washing my hair, every wash. My scalp was quite irritated at the time, and I confirmed with Innate Life that I was able to use this every wash (for me that’s every 2-3 days).
SCENT: Light herbal scent, the Peppermint Oil is the most noticeable scent.
TEXTURE: Runny, make sure to take little amounts rather than a lot in one go.
APPLICATION: Parted my hair in sections, and massaged thin layers directly on the scalp. After my entire scalp area was covered, I massaged it for 3-5 minutes.
FEEL: While massaging, I felt my scalp heating up. Not in an irritating way, moreso that there was a lot of blood circulation gong on. This feeling lasts from 30 minutes to an hour.
WASH: Need to shampoo twice to make sure all the oils from my hair are out.
OVERALL THOUGHTS ON THE SCALP TREATMENT FOR PROBLEMATIC SCALP
- My scalp became less itchy; Usually it gets itchy by the 2nd day, and I haven’t experienced that since using this treatment
- In combination with the shampoo and conditioner I am using (see Haircare Haul), I’ve been told my hair looks fuller at the front
- I’ve noticed baby hairs that I usually don’t see finally sit on my head differently and look more visible (they already existed, the photo does not show brand new growth)
- Not a fan of the clear, jar packaging. It is great that it’s in glass, the essential oils act as a natural preservative, and I can keep it in a dark cabinet, but it should be in an opaque package with a small dispenser to further prevent any ingredient degradation.
Overall I have seen benefits while using the Innate Life Scalp Treatment. My scalp feels less irritated, baby hairs are coming out to play, and it is not difficult to wash out.
Herbal Hair Mask
Dry and damaged hair rejoice! The Herbal Hair Mask is the answer to your prayers. This intensive once-a-week hair mask has the power to naturally transform hair into a silky dream. Formulated with over 15 plant-based botanicals, The Herbal Hair Mask keeps hair soft, silky, and shiny. Natural detanglers leave strands tangle-free and manageable. This Mask also reverses damage caused by heat tools and hair dyes. For sad-looking locks, The Herbal Mask is sure to cheer them up!
INDIVIDUAL PRICE: $25 USD
USAGE: 2 hours before I planned on washing my hair, once a week alongside the Scalp Treatment on dry hair. I tried damp and after-conditioning as well; I did not notice a difference between the application methods, so I stuck with the pre-wash.
SCENT: Citrusy Lavender. Definitely took a handful of whiffs while applying it!
TEXTURE: Light cream.
APPLICATION: Massaged product in from the mid-length to ends on dry hair, making sure it was properly coated.
FEEL: Like a light oil, not as overwhelming as Coconut Oil on its own.
WASH: Rinses out pretty easily without using shampoo at the ends.
OVERALL THOUGHTS OF THE HERBAL HAIR MASK
- Smells divine – I definitely enjoyed this while applying.
- Hair feels the same, nothing crazy different
- I get similar results from just leaving conditioner in my hair for a couple of minutes
Overall this was my least favourite product out of the 3. Not just the Innate Life Herbal Hair Mask, but I find conditioning masks in general don’t do much for my hair. Maybe my hair is less damaged than I thought? If you’re looking for a light hair mask, still consider this one – lots of other users have benefitted from this hair mask!
Rose Hair Elixir
The Rose Hair Elixir is the Holy Grail product of hair care. Formulated with over 15 organic oils, this Elixir is potent and serves a number of purposes. It can be used daily or whenever your hair needs a quick pick me up. It can be used on dry hair to nourish split ends, tame frizzy hair, repair damaged hair and add shine. This little bottle does it all! It even works as a heat protectant before styling or on damp hair as a leave-in treatment. If that’s not enough for you, it’s intoxicating rose smell will have you coming back for more.
INDIVIDUAL PRICE: $15 USD
USAGE: 2 times a day, morning and night before brushing my hair.
SCENT: Starts off smelling like rose. It isn’t overwhelming, but I definitely liked sniffing my hair throughout the day. After a few hours the scent wears off and your ends smell like a mix of oils.
TEXTURE: Similar to a silicone-based hair serum, but feels like an oil, if that makes sense…
APPLICATION: Apply 4 drops to my mid-length to ends, more of a focus on the ends.
FEEL: Does not weigh down my hair and does not leave an oily look.
OVERALL THOUGHTS ON THE ROSE HAIR ELIXIR
- First oil-based hair serum that performs well
- Ends feel very soft and healthy
- Lovely, subtle scent of rose
- Another deduction for packaging; Clear bottle and the dropper doesn’t even reach the bottom, you’d have to poor out the oil when you’re near the end
Overall this is my favourite oil-based hair serum I have tried to date. I personally preferred silicone-based hair serums because I saw better results, but I’m happy to have discovered the lovely formula that is the Innate Life Rose Hair Elixir.
- All products have very promising ingredients that have potential to contribute to scalp and hair health, particularly Coconut Oil, Amla, and Rosemary Oil
- Fairly affordable price and lasts fairly long considering I have long hair
- Quick delivery once ordered – being in Toronto in particular it takes 3-5 business days
- Saving $10 when buying the bundle as opposed to the individual products
- The Scalp Treatment in particular was the catalyst for paying more attention to my scalp, leading down the endless hole that is haircare
- The packaging on the Scalp Treatment and Rose Hair Elixir needs to be updated for better function and product preservation
- Just like other brands, I am not a fan of the scare-tactics type of marketing; They use the “no chemicals” and “non-toxic” approach to their products. If they changed their marketing to show the potential plant power going on in their products and promote these as beneficial chemicals, they could definitely gain more of a following and trust with their brand
OVERALL IN-BETWEEN FEELS:
- I’m not sure if they mean “made from scratch” from a home setting or in a lab. Not to say it is a bad thing, it is to point out general caution to anyone looking at their products. They are all wash-off anyways and I haven’t experienced any negative side effects.
- Scalp Treatment and Herbal Hair Mask can be left on overnight, but I didn’t notice much of a difference than if I were to just keep it in for 2 hours
The Small Bundle is a great introductory purchase for the Innate Life products. On top of the sensorial experience from each product, 2/3 products actually delivered for my hair type and have played an essential role in gaining and maintaining healthy scalp and hair. It was easy to consistently use these products, especially knowing that they wouldn’t run out so fast.
I already repurchased their Long Hair Bundle which contains full sizes of the Scalp Treatment (Problematic Scalp) and the Rose Hair Elixir. They’re definitely part of the reason I’ve been loving my hair state lately and will continue using them and supporting a Canadian brand!
Use “MICH” * to get 15% off your first purchase:
This is an affiliate code and link. If you use this link to make a purchase, I earn a small commission. Thank you so much if decide to use it! If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to google a new link.
Have you tried these Innate Life products? They also have a shampoo and conditioner, let me know what you think about them in the comments if you’ve tried!