“Ultraviolet rays alter the skin’s DNA by breaking its nucleus. They also weaken the immune system. This increases the risks of genetic mutation, tumors, and skin cancer. By favoring free radicals and destroying collagen, UVAs can also contribute to premature signs of aging of the skin. That is why dermatologists recommend the daily application of high (SPF 50+) photoprotection against UVAs and UVBs.
At Bioderma, we respond to your skin’s needs. Our Photoderm line erects a double barrier to encourage its immunity against the sun: the best of external protection as well as unique, patented and laboratory-tested Cellular Bioprotection®. Among our products made with organo-mineral, anti-UV filters, Photoderm Milk SPF 50+ offers a large spectrum of protection. Used according to the instructions and with other sun protection measures, the risk of skin cancer and premature aging of the skin caused by the sun is decreased. Also, Photoderm Milk SPF 50+ protects sun-dried skin against environmental aggressors.”
Suitable for babies, children, teens, adult, face, and body
Colourless upon application
No greasy effect
No white traces
Excellent tolerance FPS 60/UVA 42
Price: $27.90 CAD Amount: 100ml
UV FILTERS & INGREDIENTS:
Bisoctrizole (Tinosorb M) 6%
Bemotrizinol (Tinosorb S) 2.5%
APPLICATION: Glides on skin very easily and feels light.
FINISH: Shiny! Skin looks slightly even-toned as well.
FEEL: It’s like I added extra moisturizer on my skin.
STINGS EYES? No.
WHITECAST / TINTED? You’d think a chemical sunscreen wouldn’t leave a cast, but Tinosorb M is the culprit behind it since it’s a white powder like Zinc Oxide (althought I’m sure both powders have their differences). I find the cast is more prominent when I apply this sunscreen on my face rather than my body.
WATER RESISTANT? No.
Quite a high UVA protection, so this will definitely help those that wish to fade pigmentation.
I do not wear this on it’s own under foundation. I usually let it sit for 10-15 minutes before I go in with a separate primer.
WHERE TO BUY: Photoderm seems to be in Canada only, where I know there is Photoderm Max floating around in the world. Shoppers Drug Mart
Awesome UVA protection due to it being formulated with some saught after photostable UV filters for us sunscren connoisseurs – Tinosorb M and S! So happy to know that these filters are accepted in Canada and easily available to purchase at a local drugstore!
Personally I find it’s a great amount for the price, and there’s usually a sale on it
Can use on face and all over body for any age
Why whitecast, why!?
Looks very shiny, even when applied on body
Oily-skinned peeps will hate this
Despite the cast and the shine, I am really enjoying the Bioderma Photoderm SPF 50+ Milk High Protection! Now that summer’s here, it’s been my go-to daily sunscreen, especially since I don’t reapply too often in the office. I’m a bit confused about what the difference could be between this and the Photoderm Max, potentially no cast? Let me know if you’ve tried the latter and how it works for you!
Back in February I had a “treat yo’self” moment, so I decided to splurge on the entire Dr. Sam skincare line (so far) called Perfected Basics. I purchased the following products and have rotated them in my skincare the past few months:
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Cleanser
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Moisturizer
Dr. Sam’s Flawless Sunscreen
As usual, after giving them a good trial run, I am ready to share my experience!
Who is Dr. Sam?
Her official bio says it best:
“[She] is a London-based cosmetic dermatologist specializing, quite simply, in great skin – she’s widely considered to be a beauty insider’s best-kept secret.
She’s passionate about making a dermatologist’s advice more accessible and helping women understand that a visit to her office is not just for serious skin conditions. Through her media and TV work, as a presenter on TLC’s Extreme Beauty Disasters, Dr Sam helps bridge the gap between traditional dermatology and beauty. She is sought-out for her expert opinion in countless fashion and beauty publications.”
I’ve been following her Youtube channel for a while now, and I find her videos to be very digestible and to the point when it comes to our common questions about skin and ingredients. Actually, it’s pretty much this strong trust she’s built through her social channels and in-person patient visits that pushed her to create her own skincare line.
Not tested on animals
Suitable for all skin types
Contains no SLS, parabens, pthalates
Products manufactured in the U.K.
Here’s what the site has to say about their 3 Dr. Sam’s Flawless products:
“We want you to build an effective skincare routine by starting from a position of strength. That means nailing your basics. We call them Perfected Basics.”
If that isn’t a wholesome dermatologist philosophy in a nutshell, I don’t know what is!
PRICE: £16 / ~$21 USD / ~$28 CAD AMOUNT: 200ml / 6.8 fl oz CLAIMS:
– Suits all skin types, even redness-prone, sensitive skin
– Thoroughly removes make-up, sunscreen, oil and grime whilst respecting the skin’s natural barrier
– Specifically suitable for acne-prone, grown-up skin
– 1 minute to cleanse
– No oily residue pH: 5.0
USAGE: Sometimes in the A.M. as my morning cleanse, but mostly in the P.M. as my 2nd cleanse.
SCENT: Smells like a raw, no masking fragrance product.
APPLICATION: One pump for my 2nd cleanse, massage for 1 minute. I tried to use 2 pumps to remove waterproof sunscreen, massaged for 2 minutes max, and it still didn’t remove everything. As I am massaging the cleanser on my skin, there is no foaming whatsoever!
FINISH: No residue, but my skin feels very soft and doesn’t feel like it’s going to dry up.
INSTANT RESULTS: Clean, happy skin.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Skin still feels clean and happy!
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS CLEANSER
Love the texture – most pleasant cleanser I’ve used to date (even my bf said the same thing)
I don’t think you need a full pump, I can use less to achieve similar results for a 2d cleanse
From what I recall, Dr. Sam is not a fan of the double-cleanse method in the sense that you need to buy another product as the first step of removing makeup or SPF. I tried massaging 2 full pumps of her cleanser on my face to break down LRP’s Anthelios Tinted SPF, which is water resistant. While it removed most of the SPF, it wasn’t 100% (and I massaged the cleanser on my face for over 2 minutes). I’ll stick to my tried and true double-cleanse method and happily use her cleanser for the 2nd step
PRICE: £25 / ~$33 USD / ~$43.50 CAD AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7 fl oz CLAIMS: – Bouncy gel cream –Suits all skin types
– Absorbs rapidly
– Leaves skin comfortable
– Long lasting hydration
– Layers beautifully with your serums and sunscreen – Won’t clog pores – Contains 5% niacinamide, a master of all trades ingredient
TEXTURE: At first it feels a cream, on application however…
APPLICATION: 1.5 – 2 pumps for face and neck, and surprisingly glides on like a gel. It really does feel like it adheres, or hugs my skin!
FINISH: Moisturized and gouda.
INSTANT RESULTS: Comfortable, moisturized skin.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: The moisture doesn’t feel long lasting throughout the day. I also don’t find my skin looks noticeably brighter, something I usually get from using a product with high % of Niacinamide.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS MOISTURIZER
Love how the product literally hugs my skin
Niacinamide is bae, and 5% is an awesome amount in a moisturizer
Skin doesn’t look even and/or bright from it
Too little amount for the price
FLAWLESS DAILY SUNSCREEN
PRICE: £29 / ~$38 USD / ~$50.50 CAD AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7 fl oz UV FILTERS: 11.8% Zinc Oxide, 7% Octinoxate CLAIMS: – Cosmetically elegant
– Soft focus, non-greasy primer-like finish
– Weightless daily shield for skin
– Contains 5% Niacinamide
– Suitable for all skin types
– Won’t clog pores
– SPF 50
– 3 pumps = 1/4 teaspoon, the general recommended amount of sunscreen you must apply to your face
APPLICATION: I know the recommondation is 3 pumps, but after measuring my face and finding out I only need 64% of 1/4 tsp, I decided to use 2 for my face. It’s very easy to glide on te skin and feels like a moisturizer.
WHITECAST? Yessssss 🙁 Even at my palest, my skin’s undertone is still strong and I see a contrast.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Just like the Flawless Moisturizer, the moisture doesn’t feel long lasting throughout the day.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON DR. SAM’S FLAWLESS SUNSCREEN
Offers good sun protection
Packaging makes it fool-proof to not apply the standard adequate amount
Good moisturizer for normal-oily skin types
Too little amount for the price
– Cosmetically elegant products. Loved the texture on all of them and enjoyed using them.
– I haven’t emptied a product yet so this is based on comments in Dr. Sam’s Skincare Club on Facebook: once you run out of the moisturizer, it’s all gone! No need to try to crack open the bottle. It has been confirmed by numerous customers that you get everything down to the last dollop through the pump.
– Gentle. The key component to these products being part of the Perfected Basics. My skin never reacted badly to any of them and I never felt like my skin was sensitized.
– Amount. Especially for the Moisturizer and SPF.
– Longevity. Tied to amount, even with minimal use of every product they will not last and you’ll have to stock up frequently.
OVERALL IN-BETWEEN FEELS:
– Price. I get it, that British pound conversion is quite a doozy, more so than the American Dollar! Also, all her products are manufactured in the U.K., that has to contribute to the price point as well. There is a shipping rate for international shipping, adding to my wallet hurting. Seems like Dr. Sam’s Perfectd Basics are better cost-wise for my friends across the pond!
– Can be suitable for all skin types, if you want to work with it. Eg. The sunscreen is VERY shiny after application, but for oily skinned peeps you can probably just use it to moisturize as well (Caution to the very sensitive skin: I’ve read many a reviews that the 5% Niacinamide was too much and caused redness and irritation).
I hope you found this review helpful! As much as I really enjoyed the products, it would have to be too frequent of a repurchase and my wallet may bite at me and hide. Maybe eventually if they ever offer free shipping I would consider repurchasing the cleanser and moisturizer.
I was super fortunate to win an Instagram contest Krave Beauty was hosting back in September 2018. I suggested a new title for their skincare book!
Before I knew it, it was the most popular one in their comment section and I’m being tagged in their story! The prize was full sizes of all 3 following products: Matcha-Hemp Hydrating Cleanser, Kale-aha-uya, Beet the Sun SPF 47+ PA++++, shipped from their Seoul facility.
When their skincare book comes out, just remember, *this girl named it*
I’ve been rotating these Krave Beauty products in my current skincare routine for a few months now and I am ready to share my thoughts with you all and whether or not Canadians and anyone else outside the U.S. and South Korea should continue their fascination with Krave Beauty. Please note the standard information on the products I share is based on Krave Beauty’s official U.S. website, even though I got the products from Korea.
If it isn’t clear: I won these products in an instagram giveaway. They were not sent to me for review purposes. I’m reviewing it because I want to.
All thoughts are my own, always. *casts doe patronus*
Founded by Liah Yoo (formerly known as YellowyCream), Beauty Youtuber. I’m not sure of her educational background, but she has been working in the beauty world for a handful of years now and has been an avid product junkie since before I started watching her. As a subscriber, I always noticed her thoughtfulness towards acne-prone, sensitive skin like hers when reviewing products.
I’m glad that in the past couple of years she switched gears and started getting more educational. She has a research team that debunks skincare myths, talks about efficacious, science-based ingredients, but maintains an open mind about new ingredients coming into the skincare game. Although she is classed as a Beauty Expert, I find her to be a non-BS one.
Even if I didn’t win her products, I have had a high interest in Krave Beauty since she launched it and wanted to purchase it for myself. Krave Beauty combines the benefits of plants and science-backed ingredients, all the while making sure it can accomodate the most sensitive of skin types. This sounds like my cup of tea!
Krave Beauty itself is all about pressing reset on your skin. Stop with the 10 step skincare, and just listen and feel for what your skin craves (Krave… get it?). Her line started off with the 3 products I’m about to review, and she has since followed up with another product launch, with most-likely more to come!
Sell only skincare
Formulated without fragrance, essential oil, colorant
Wants to be a transparent company
Wants to #PressReset on your skincare routine and all the noise from the beauty industry
Create products that considers your skin’s health
Prioritize simplicity in their products while providing quality ingredients and care
“Skincare should be easy, Skincare should be a stress-free zone, Skincare should be a supplement to our lifestyle. And most of all, skincare basics should be, basic.
It’s time to #pressreset.”
I also like how Krave Beauty just launches products at its own pace. These past couple of years the makeup market became extremely saturated (how many eyeshadow palettes do we need people!?), and now you see skincare getting lots of hype and making its rounds, especially on Instagram!
Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser
PRICE: $16 USD AMOUNT: 120ml / 4.05 fl oz pH: 5.0 – 6.0 CLAIMS:
– An antioxidant cleanser that doesn’t mess up your skin barrier
– Lifting everything your skin doesn’t want while leaving what it needs—healthy pH, hydration, antioxidants and no irritation
– Matcha and hemp seeds are here to boost the skin’s intake of antioxidants and essential fatty acids
– Contains 40% matcha
One of the most antioxidant-dense sources on the planet. Basically, we thought it’d be awesome to splash matcha every day on our skin.
Hemp seed oil
HIGH in essential amino acids, HIGH in linoleic acid, oh yeah, it’s so HIGH-drating! Great for all skin types, even for oily skin peeps. Hemp seed oil has a natural antibacterial property that helps to relieve inflamed skin conditions.
Coco -betaine, Coco-glucoside, Decyl glucoside
A group of mild and gentle cleaning agents. These surfactants are less likely to compromise your skin barrier whereas harsh surfactants (like SLS) can strip away everything including your natural lipids. And these, you don’t want to surrender.
Love that it has 40% Camellia Sinsesis Leaf Water in the formulation; For me, it makes it a standout cleanser and it’s unlike other ones I’ve tried. I’ve washed my face with green tea water before (literally steeped warm water for like, 5 mins and splashed my face for over a minute) and I find I achieve similar results of skin softness and evenness, only the Matcha-Hemp Hydrating Cleanser can actually perform as a great 2nd cleanse. Not sure why they didn’t highlight Oat Kernel Extract and Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, I personally think they’re worth mentioning about this cleanser!
USAGE: Evening as 2nd cleanse.
TEXTURE: One of the more interesting textures I have tried from a cleanser – A brown, chunky gel.
APPLICATION: From a pea to more than a nickel-size amount and lather on the face and neck.
FINISH: I keep my face slightly damp before going into my humectant products. However this cleanser does speed up water evaporation, and there were times when my face felt unpleasantly squeaky-clean.
INSTANT RESULTS: Face feels soft and hydrated after 1 minute of cleansing.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Overall skin hasn’t been compromised despite the quick drying feeling it brings. No breakouts, my reliable 2nd cleanse for removing even the heaviest of layers of makeup, face always looks even tone and bright.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE MATCHA-HEMP HYDRATING CLEANSER
– Base is 40% Camellia Sinesis Leaf Water
– Good size
– Fairly affordable considering the amount and how much you need to actually use
– Dries my skin too fast, even when it’s damp
PRICE: $25 USD AMOUNT: 200ml / 6.76 fl oz TYPE OF EXFOLIANT: AHA – Glycolic Acid 5.25% pH: 3.0 – 4.0 CLAIMS:
– Skin resurfacing exfoliator that kicks your dead skin cells to the curb
– Revealing youthful, healthier skin while also feeding it delicious antioxidants from dark, leafy greens
– Kiss good-bye to the appearance of discoloration, sun damage, and fine lines with regular use
Glycolic Acid (Sugar cane derived) 5.25%
A real game changer in your skincare routine! Glycolic acid is an effective chemical exfoliant that gently resurfaces skin texture and prevents clogged pores. With regular use, this nudges your skin’s cellular turnover slowly, fading the appearance of hyperpigmentation, sun damage, and fine lines.
Dark, leafy greens (kale, spinach, parsley)
A vital energy booster for the skin, the antioxidants packed in these greens are the best thing you can treat your skin with—and that’s why we call it Kale-lalu-yaha! Not just that, it’s also chock-full of vitamins and minerals too. What more could you ask for?
Aloe + Hyaluronic acid + Vitamin B5
These are all natural hydrators which replenish, hydrate and soothe skin. Once you apply, you’ll feel instant hydration, especially if you pair this with a moisturizer that locks down it all down.
Allantoin soothes skin while buffering any possible irritation from the chemical exfoliation process. This is an absolutely wonderful ingredient which brings both moisturizing and soothing relief to a sensitive, inflamed skin.
I know you can only highlight so many good ingredients, but I’d like to point out this AHA toner also has Chlorella and Green Apple extract as greens in this product. There’s also Glycerin, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), and Sodium Hyaluronate for moisturizing properties!
USAGE: Evening. Started using it every other day. When I incorporated prescription-strength Differin, only 1-2x a week max.
SCENT: While first using it I didn’t smell anything. Now that I’ve opened it a handful of times, there’s a slight sour smell when you open the cap, but not on application.
APPLICATION: Sometimes I use my hands to apply a couple of swigs. If I feel particularly congestted, I apply it to a Klairs cotton pad (compressed or sponge).
FINISH: Slightly moisturized.
INSTANT RESULTS: Skin looks smooth and even.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: No surprise that the moment I incorporated this into my nightly routine, my texture improved. I find Glycolic Acid is the most effective when tackling these haunting atrophic scars.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON KALE-LALU-yAHA
– Base is Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water and not plain old water
– Improved my skin’s texture
– Not too irritating for my skin – I have used 8-10% AHA in the past, but now that I use a retinoid I’m happy for a lesser percentage.
– Non-drying – skin feels normal and sightly moisturized after use
– Crystallizes at the dispense area
The amount 5.25%; I’m an experienced chemical exfoliator user, so I could do with a higher percentage. On the other end, this is a fairly high amount if you consider it in the K-Beauty Market. Most of the chemical exfoliators in that market don’t go past 2%.
Beet the Sun SPF 47+ PA++++
U.S. NAME: The Beet Shield
PRICE: $20 USD AMOUNT: 50ml / 1.7oz UV FILTERS:
– Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate (Uvinul A Plus)
– BisEthylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine (Tinosorb S)
– Polysilicone-15 (Parsol SLX) CLAIMS:
– A gentle, antioxidant-rich day fluid that protects your skin from harsh environmental stressors
-A lightweight, non-white cast leaving formula
– Charged with beet root extract and antioxidants to fight against the free radicals so you don’t turn beet-red
An underrated yet amazingly antioxidant-rich vegetable, the beetroot holds skin enhancing properties like preventing signs of aging, reducing pigmentation and blemishes and moisturization! A true underdog superfood.
Allantoin soothes skin and relieves skin irritation. This is an absolutely wonderful ingredient which brings both moisturizing and soothing relief to a sensitive, inflamed skin.
Vitamin C, Resveratrol, EGCG
This powerful tag team of antioxidants is proven to shield skin against external stressors and neutralize free radicals.
USAGE: AM routine as the last step of skincare of course!
TEXTURE: Krave Beauty describes it perfectly – condensed milk! It also doesn’t feel sticky or greasy.
APPLICATION: I apply ~64% 1/4 tsp (I did a rough measurement of my face and I calculated this to be the amount needed to get the SPF and PA protection on my face).
FINISH: Shiny and moisturized. The shine eventually fades. No cast.
INSTANT RESULTS: Skin looks smooth and even, feels more moisturized.
LONG-TERM RESULTS: Provides good sun protection. Face feels slightly dry after I use this with foundation. Foundation-free days I do not get this.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON BEET THE SUN SPF 47+ PA++++
– The base may be just water, but I love the texture! *Cosmetic Elegance*
– Uses modern, photostable filters
– Despite Alcohol in the top 5 ingredients, it doesn’t dry my skin too much
CONS: – Some days it stings my face (depending what I used the night before)
– I know this ingredient factors in formulation, but in my personal experience, using a product with Alcohol constantly (even in makeup) weakens my skin. I’m willing to purchase this SPF again, but I am wearing about what my skin would look like with consistent use. This is in a sunscreen rather than moisturizer foundation, so I hope this different formulation will not do the same thing
– The amount 50ml is perfect as a travel-size SPF companion, but you’ll run out of this quickly if it’s your go to sun protection product. I wish they offered a larger size
FINAL THOUGHTS ON KRAVE BEAUTY
– Thoughtful formulations: first set of ingredients are actually key ingredients, and if you look at the ingredients list as a whole, there’s a lot of good stuff in it that look as if it makes up the bulk of the formulation.
– Affordable. Considering the quality of these products, I find the pricepoint very good, and you get a considerable amount for most of the products.
– Liah herself actually uses her products consistently. Sure it’s self promotion, but she DID want the formulas to work with her skin type as well. She’s also the public tester for her brand and we can see her skin’s progress.
– Not. Available. In. Canada. I wish they made it available in Toronto at least! Their U.S. facility is in New Jersey and we’re but a mere 6 hour drive away :3 We also sell SPF with Tinosorb in it so I’m sure it can get approved to be sold as an SPF here.
OVERALL IN-BETWEEN FEELS:
– Suited for MOST skin-types. Like I mentioned, the SPF was mositurizing at first but throughout the day my face dried if I wore foundation with it, and the cleanser leaves my skin feeling very dry if I don’t act fast with my humectants.
– You can make it work and you don’t have to alter your routine significantly when using these products.
I will make this clear: If I COULD purchase, I WOULD. I even want to try their new release, Great Barrier Relief! But alas, Canadians are always jipped, jipped I say!! I hope the Krave Beauty team offers international shipping soon, I know a lot of fellow skincare lovers want to try what they have to offer. Aside from that, if you are able to purchase Krave Beauty, I hope this review helped in solidifying your decision!
Lately as my skin has become drier due to the cold season, it has also become a tad paler, and discolouration is becoming more prominent. Finding a foundation at the drugstore is particularly difficult, because most of the common brands have a pink undertone, and they break me out.
Last year I saw the Cover FX counter at a nearby Shoppers Drugmart, and noticed that this line had a ton of different shades, with different undertones! Because I tan very well and am of Asian and Mediterranean descent, I fall into the golden tones. After some serious swatching, I found that I am in the shade G30: for light to medium skin with golden undertones. I’ve tried other products since purchasing this one (obviously), but I have rekindled my love for this cream foundation, with its amazing coverage and giving me natural, healthy looking skin!
If any of you live in Canada, or any country that gets below 0C, you know the agony of dry skin and a bone-chilled body! Although we have had a mild winter, I am very tiny, and I can’t put up with the cold. It hurts my soul when I step outside and the wind blows across my face… and arms… and legs… and ears… and head… and hands… Here are some beauty items and clothing that have been helping me keep it together while I wait for spring!